These specie build carton nests, similar like wasps, they need high air humidity for the nestbuilding (often spray in the closed basin). They sit up on their long extremities by danger and deliver a little drop turpentinelike defence-secretion at their protruding sting. Slow walking animals. Never nestling in the soil; carton nests often under leafs, no house-ant.
- Origin: Southeast Asia (mountains about 800 m)
- Taxonomy: Subfamily Myrmicinae, Tribe Myrmicariini
- Characteristics: Monomorph
- Hibernation: No
- Appearence of the queen: deep brown, humpy, with long extremities
- Appearance of the workers: same as queen
- Nest bulding: carton nests under leaves of trees
- Nutrition: honeywater, insects
- Temperature: 18 - 25°C
- Air humidity: 60 - 80 % (tropical climate)
- Soil conditions: only necessary for planting, nesting between leaves
- Planting: ficus, Pachira aquatica
- Level: Difficult
- Specifics: It is advisable to use an Formicarium top covering to keep temperature and air humidity constant. Othwerwise they aren't able to build carton nests.
was added to the shopping cart.
could not be added to the shopping cart.